Prove you live in Plymouth to use waste and recycling centres

People bringing waste and recycling to Plymouth’s tips from this week will have to prove they live in the city before being allowed on site.

From Wednesday 1 July staff at Chelson Meadow and Weston Mill Household Waste and Recycling Centres will be asking all those who use the sites for a photo-ID, for example, driving licence, armed forces ID – any photo ID with a Plymouth address before being allowed to dispose their rubbish.

Over the last month staff have been handing out leaflets explaining the change and information, together with a fact sheet has been available on the Council’s website.

Cabinet member for Street Scene, Councillor Brian Vincent said: “If you live in Plymouth remember to bring some ID with you as well as your rubbish and recycling. If you live outside of the city, you need to use the facilities your own council provides.

“We have asked non-Plymouth residents to use recycling centres in their own area for some time – now we are making sure that this service is only used by the residents who pay for it.

“Some people have said they only have a paper driving ID – if that is the case then a Plymouth council tax bill or a recent utility bill alongside another form of photo ID will be accepted.”

The new procedure is being introduced as part of a package of changes to ensure the service is as efficient as possible for the residents of Plymouth.

Last September the Council began to take trade waste at Chelson Meadow from companies who are licensed to carry waste. This has generated income for the service which has helped keep costs down the for the Council tax payer.

It costs Plymouth Council taxpayers £1.35 million a year to run Chelson Meadow and Weston Mill Household Waste and Recycling Centres.

The sites handled a combined total of 36,863 tonnes of waste last year, diverting 28,290 tonnes into re-use and recycling. Surveys carried out at the site estimate at least five per cent of users could be residents from other areas.

Councillor Vincent added: “In an ideal world we would not be forced to do this – but running a service such as this costs money and with all councils facing severe financial pressures, we can only afford to fund services for the people who live within our boundaries.”

People who live in the South Hams or in Cornwall who are unhappy with the new arrangement should speak to their councils. Devon and Torbay have also introduced similar arrangements.