A range of activities are taking place across Plymouth to mark Dementia Awareness Week 2017.
Between 15 and 19 May, Plymouth City Council will team up with Moments Café and Information Hub, Devon and Cornwall Police, Drake Circus, Age UK and Derriford Hospital to host events that raise awareness of dementia and encourage people and organisations to become more dementia friendly.
Councillor Lynda Bowyer, Cabinet Member for Health and Adult Social Care, said: “It is so great to see the city of Plymouth pull together to recognise Dementia Awareness Week. Plymouth was named as Dementia City of the Year 2016 so it is fitting for us to carry on the good work.”
Events taking place throughout the week include:
Monday 15 May
• 9.30am to 12.30pm: Moments Café Information Hub – Oral Health Awareness session with dental hygienist Fran Marriott.
• 10am to 3pm: Moments Café and Information Hub – Button Art Workshop with Mrs Marvellous. Participants will have the chance to create craft that helps with memory.
• 10am to 4pm: Derriford Hospital – Stands with information about dementia and the work being done throughout the hospital. Repeated at the same time on Tuesday.
• 10.30am to 11.30am: Age UK, Astor Drive – Dementia Friends Session. Repeated at the same time on Thursday.
• 12pm and 1.30pm: Ballard House – Dementia Awareness Sessions for Plymouth City Council staff. Also at Windsor House on Friday.
Tuesday 16 May
• 9.30am to 12.30pm: Moments Café and Hub – Exploring Dementia training course. Please contact 01752 875924 to book on the course.
• 10am to 11am: Central Library – Public Dementia Friends Awareness session. Also from 2pm to 3pm at Plympton Library on Wednesday and from 2pm to 3pm at Moments Café and Hub and Stoke Library on Thursday.
• 1pm to 2.30pm: Charles Cross Police Station – Dementia Awareness Session for police staff. Repeated at Devonport Police station on Thursday from 9.30am to 11am.
• 2pm to 4pm: Age UK, Astor Drive – 50s and 60s event with singer Wendy Bassett.
Wednesday 17 May
• 9am to 6pm: Drake Circus Dementia Awareness Week Event – Alzheimer’s Society and Memory Service with information stand all day and a performance by the Singing for the Brain Group in the afternoon.
• 9am to 4pm: Moments Café and Hub – Caring for Carers providing information and support to carers, Alzheimer’s Society drop–in (repeated at the same time on Thursday) and Plymouth Museum (bring old items and photographs to share).
• 10am and 2pm: Drake Circus Conference Room – Dementia Awareness Sessions for retailers.
• 2pm to 4pm: Age UK, Astor Drive – Prize Musical Bingo
Thursday 18 May
• 10am to 3pm: Moments Café and Hub – Centre for Music and Memory introduce their Train Your Brain with Music. Meet neuro scientist and musician Dr Michael Klein.
• 2.30pm: Plymouth Arts Centre, Looe Street – Relaxed, dementia friendly screening of the film ‘The Sense of an Ending’
Friday 19 May
• 10am to 12pm: St Budeaux Library – Memory Café.
• 10am to 3pm: Moments Café and Hub – Pop in and find out what services Plymouth Energy Community has to offer.
• 2pm to 4pm: Age UK, Astor Drive – Skittles Competition.
Please also contact the Dementia Friendly City Co–ordinator for more information and support with becoming a dementia friendly organisation at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 01752 398922
In addition, anyone can sign up to be a Dementia Friend. For more, click here.