Carers Week in Plymouth comes this year with added music.
Plymouth City Council, and Caring for Carers (a partnership between Improving Lives Plymouth and Age UK) are working together to ensure the estimated 29,000 carers in Plymouth know that help is available in the city, and part of this will be a week of events (11 – 17 June) including music (performed by local musicians who also happen to be carers) and art sessions, supported by local charities Plymouth Music Zone, Colebrook South West Ltd and Improving Lives Plymouth.
In addition, the Council has recently joined the Employers for Carers scheme, which will help it and a number of other organisations in the city support carers who work for them. The scheme will provide practical resources, advice and information designed to help employers look after staff who are juggling work alongside caring for someone.
A carer is someone who provides unpaid care and support to a family member or friend who has a disability, illness, mental health problem or who needs extra help as they grow older.
Young carers are children and young people who provide care and support for loved ones. Support available for young carers in Plymouth includes group sessions at Efford Youth Centre every Tuesday evening. The sessions are free to join but you would need to have been referred by a professional such as your doctor, an educational psychologist, health visitor or your school. The sessions include fun activities like cooking, arts, sports, pool, gaming or just the chance to meet and socialise with other young carers. To find out what help you can get, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01752 668000.
During Carers Week itself, Plymouth City Council is holding an event for young carers in Saltram on Thursday 14 June.
Councillor Ian Tuffin, Cabinet Member for Health and Adult Social Care for Plymouth City Council, said: “Carers do an invaluable job and it is really important that we raise the profile of caring and encourage members of the public to identify themselves as carers to access support, advice and information available to them.
“The theme of this year’s Carers Week, led nationally by Carers UK, is coming together to build communities that support the health and wellbeing of carers. Across the UK there are around 6.5million people who care for a parent, partner, child or friend.
“Caring can be very rewarding but it is really important that carers also look after their own health and wellbeing as well. Part of this is taking the time out to do the things you enjoy, so look out for the special events this week.
“I am also delighted that Plymouth City Council has signed up to the Employers for Carers scheme, and hope that other local employers will follow suit.”
Improving Lives Plymouth, Caring for Carers Manager Lee Sewrey says: “This carers week we pledge to facilitate activities and events that provide health and well-being benefits for carers and allow them to have a little ‘me time’.
“If you are a carer or you know a carer we have lots of things available to support you in your caring role.”
Events taking place throughout Carers Week:
- Monday 11 June, 1 – 3pm: Plymouth Music Zone, Raglan Road, Devonport, PL1 4NQ
- Tuesday 12 June, 12pm -2pm: Caring for Carers meal at Pan Asia, 80 Royal Parade. – all you can eat buffet of Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Malaysian, sushi and Indian dishes.
- Tuesday 12 June, 7.30pm: Thriller Live at Theatre Royal, Plymouth.
- Wednesday 13 June, meet at Milehouse Park and Ride at 9.30am: Caring for Carers trip to Dartmoor Zoo by coach.
- Wednesday 13 June, 10am to 12pm: Caring for Carers Brunch at the Seco Lounge.
- Wednesday 13 June, 1 – 3pm: Busking at Plymouth railway station
- Wednesday 13 June, 10am – 12pm: Creative art session for carers at The Studio, 12 Abbotts Road, Peverell, PL3 4PB. Contact Richard Price – 07964 369492 or email email@example.com
- Thursday 14 June, meet at the Mannamead Centre at 9.20am: Trip to the China Fleet Country Club in Saltash – aqua spa and afternoon tea.
- Thursday 14 June, 12.30pm: Caring for Carers two course meal and music quiz at the Brook Inn, 33 Longbrook Street.
- Friday 15 June, 12 – 2pm: William Sutton Memorial Hall, 6 Shelley Way, St Budeaux, Plymouth PL5 1QF.
- Friday 15 June, 10.45am: Meet at Barbican Leisure Park for bowling and a pizza.
- Friday 15 June, 2.15pm: High Tea at Age UK (William and Patricia Venton Centre). Call 01752 256020 to book a place.
- Friday 15 June, 10am – 1pm: Free legal advice for carers and those they care for at Wolferstans Solicitors, North Hill. Tea and cake will be served.
- Friday, 15 June, 9.30am to 1.30pm – Plymouth Energy Community (PEC) invites you to ‘fill your cup’ at the Copthorne Hotel Stay warm and well with PEC and claim your free home energy monitor and free advice to help you tackle cold, damp homes and fuel debt. Tea and cake will be served. Call 01752 477117 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note there will be a small charge for some of these events. For more information on these events and other support for carers call 01752 201890 or email email@example.com You can also visit https://www.improvinglivesplymouth.org.uk/our-services/caring-for-carers
Other regular events for carers in Plymouth:
If you can’t get along to any of this week’s events there are also a number of regular music sessions at Plymouth Music Zone for carers including:
- Every other Monday: 10am to 12pm, Friends Uke-Nited – for adult carers who have a little ukulele experience, singing and playing together with a view to performing in community venues.
- Every Monday: 1pm – 2pm, Carefree Choir – for adult carers without those they care for, singing in harmony together for a little breathing space.
- Every Tuesday: 10.30am to 11.30am, Sharing and Caring – for carers of older and disabled people, singing as a group for much needed respite and laughter.
Call 01752 213690 to find out more about the Plymouth Music Zone events.
Other support available for carers:
Caring for Carers (Improving Lives Plymouth) – contact 01752 201890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also visit https://www.improvinglivesplymouth.org.uk/our-services/caring-for-carers
Colebrook South West – Opportunity Knocks Project. Contact 01752 211243 or email OKProject@colebrooksw.org
Employers for Carers – www.employersforcarers.org
Plymouth Online Directory (POD) – you can also search the POD for information on a range of local support groups. Visit www.plymouthonlinedirectory.com
Young Carers – Information on support for young carers is available on the Plymouth City Council website here: https://www.plymouth.gov.uk/adultcareandhealth/caringotherpeople/helpyoungcarers
You can also email email@example.com or call 01752 668000.